When it comes to storing your belongings, there are several options available, including furniture storage and self storage. While they may seem similar at first glance, there are significant differences that can impact your decision on which one to use. This section will explore these differences and help you determine which type of storage is right for your needs.
What is furniture storage?
Furniture storage is a type of storage solution specifically designed for storing furniture items. It is used when people require long-term storage and do not need regular access to their belongings (e.g. working abroad, travelling, or downsizing). The items are typically sealed in large ventilated boxes (wooden or metal) and stacked amongst hundreds of other containers in large-scale warehouses.
Furniture storage can be used to store anything from a few pieces of furniture to an entire household of belongings. Furniture storage containers come in various sizes and can be rented for short-term or long-term storage needs. Some furniture storage solutions also offer climate-controlled units, which can help to protect your furniture from fluctuations in temperature and humidity.
Why use self storage to store your furniture?
Self storage can be an excellent option for furniture storage for a few reasons.
- Secure and convenient locations to store your belongings
- Offers a range of security features, such as CCTV, access control systems, and on-site staff, to help protect your furniture from theft and damage
- Designed to be easily accessible, allowing you to store and retrieve your furniture anytime.
- Offer flexible rental agreements, which means you can rent a unit for as long as you need and only pay for the storage space you require. This makes it an excellent option for those who need to store furniture items for a few weeks, months, or even years.
Why choose OhMyBox! storage units to store your furniture
✓ Access your unit 24 hours a day/365 days a year
✓ Highly secure units with 24-hour security cameras
✓ Sophisticated alarm systems and
✓ Restricted access to the unit via a PIN
✓ Wide range of sizes to suit all storage needs and budgets
✓ Conveniently located
✓ Exceptional customer service, our friendly team is on hand to help with any queries
✓ No hidden fees or penalties
✓ Packaging materials available in store to purchase
Our customers rate our service.
We're proud of our fantastic customer service. Our customers rate us.
Why do people use furniture storage?
- During a house move, if there is a gap between selling and moving into your new home
- To store excess furniture after downsizing until you decide what to do with it in the longer term
- To keep furniture safe and out of the way whilst decorating, deep-cleaning carpets or renovating your home
- To minimise clutter and make your house appear more spacious whilst trying to sell your home.
- To store items of furniture that do not fit into your current home but that you want to keep because they have a sentimental or monetary value.
- If your house needs to be rented out (if you need to work abroad, for example), you may wish to keep your furniture in storage to keep it clean and safe for when you return.
What furniture can you put in a storage unit?
Our customers and their belongings' safety and security is of utmost importance to us. However, we will store most things as long as they are not on our prohibited items list (See FAQs).
These are some of our more common types of furniture people store
- Kitchen Appliances
- Washing machine/Tumble dryer
- Dining table and chairs
- Office Furniture
- Garden furniture
This is a partial list as we often store more unusual, customised, interesting items. So, please do ask if you need clarification, and our team will be able to let you know if we can accommodate your items.
How much does furniture storage cost?
Several factors can influence the price of furniture storage in Spain. Some of the most important ones include the following:
- Location: Storage facilities in large urban areas like Madrid or Barcelona tend to have higher prices than those in smaller cities or rural areas.
- Size of the storage unit: The furniture storage price depends on the unit's size. Larger units typically cost more than smaller ones.
- Security: Storage facilities with advanced security systems and 24-hour surveillance tend to have higher prices.
- Climate control: Storage units with climate control systems that regulate temperature and humidity are more expensive than those without.
- Accessibility: Storage units that are easy to access, such as those on the ground floor or with drive-up access, may have higher prices than those that require navigating through several levels or hallways.
- Duration of storage: Longer storage periods typically result in lower monthly costs.
- Additional services: Some storage facilities may offer additional services like insurance, packing materials, or transport, which can increase the price.
These are just a few factors that can impact the price of furniture storage in Spain. Therefore, it’s important to carefully consider all these factors when choosing a storage facility to ensure you get the best value for your money.
What size storage unit will I need to store my furniture?
At OhMyBox!, we have a variety of room sizes in our storage centres. Of course, the size you will need will depend on what you’re hoping to store. But, typically, the size of the unit required to keep furniture will start from 3m2
, which is ideal for storing the contents of a one-bedroom flat and work up to a 12m2
unit which will usually hold the contents of a three-bedroom house with a garden shed.
What storage unit would I need to store my sofa?
If you can stand the sofa on its end, you will only need a 2m2
unit. However, if you prefer to store the couch upright (as you would in your own home), you would need a 3m2
Why do I need insurance?
In the very unlikely event that something happens to your belongings whilst in storage, that is out of our control, we require you to hold the appropriate level of insurance. This is an industry-standard, and any reputable storage company will require it. We offer an industry-specific insurance policy, but you are welcome to use your own. However, you must provide evidence that you are adequately covered.
Where can I find furniture storage near me?
At OhMyBox!, we have five self storage facilities conveniently located in the heart of Barcelona (Valencia, Calabria, Glories, Provenza and Marina) and two in Madrid (Antonio López and Manuel Tovar) for all your storage needs. Call to speak to one of our friendly team members or find a store using the search box above and request a quote.
What should you take into consideration when choosing a furniture storage company?
When it comes to self storage, the cheapest is not always the best. Your belongings are important to you, so be careful when choosing where to store your furniture. When shopping around for storage, you should consider a few things: the location of the storage facility, the standard of the facility, the level of security offered, ease of access and the price
Questions you should ask yourself before renting a storage unit?
1. What will I be storing?
2. How long will I need the storage unit?
3. What is the replacement value of the goods?
4. How important is the location? Do I need to access it regularly?
5. Who can access my storage unit, and how is it stored?
6. How will I move my goods to the storage unit?
7. How do I pack properly?
8. How much will I have to pay: are they any extra costs, any discounts?
9. What happens if I lose my key or forget my PIN?
Does OhMyBox! Offer a long-term furniture discount? What is considered long-term?
At OhMyBox! Any stay over 360 days is considered long-term. We do offer long-term discounts. However, this can vary from store to store. The best thing to do is speak directly to your local OhMyBox! and they will ensure you get the best price for your storage needs.
Get a storage quote near you
Find a store by entering a postcode, city or town below.
Need to chat to one of our space specialists? No problem.
Please fill in some details and we'll call you shortly
Got questions or need assistance? Speak to one of our business specialists
(+34) 900 802 112