For those of you who are thinking about taking a break to reconsider and travel or simply to take time off, you have very probably thought about renting a self-storage unit for a gap year. But do you know which one to choose and what to take into account when renting it?
It's important to bear a few things in mind. You need to think that your belongings are going to be there for a while and like any other object, they need care taking of them to keep them in optimum condition.
What you need to take into account when renting a self-storage unit for holidays:
- Conditions: first of all, you need to take into account the conditions the storage company offers. Remember that your belongings are going to be there for a year, therefore it is a good idea to get to know the facilities that best suit your needs, and that offer the best guarantees for your belongings.
- Security: another aspect to bear in mind is security. It is a good thing to first ask the storage company what security measures it has for rented self-storage units.
- Location: If you're thinking of taking a gap year off but you know you will probably need some of your stuff stored, it's a good idea to take the location of the self-storage rental company into account: Is it near my home? Does it involve a long journey when I need to go and get my belongings?
- Storage costs: The price is one of the basic factors when deciding on and choosing any service: Is there any discount on the final rental price of the self-storage unit for holidays? Is there any kind of discount if I rent for a long period of time? Many companies offer discounts and deals when renting a storage unit for a long period of time, so don't forget to ask the company if they have a special rate.
- Accessibility: another aspect to take into account when renting a storage unit for long periods is the ease of access: Can I access it whenever I want or is there a restricted timetable? A gap year is usually unpredictable; therefore, it is a good idea to look for a flexible solution that meets your particular needs.